Enjoy Easy Money?
- EPISODE 53~ EASY MONEY PODCAST
- EPISODE 53~ LINKS: Resources To Help You Make More, Save More, Find Yours
MAKE More links from Episode 53 of Easy Money:
Good locations for Solar panels:
- EPISODE 53~ TOP TIP: Smart Toys Could Be Putting Your Children At Risk
The FBI wants you to know that internet-connected toys, sometimes called “smart toys” are vulnerable to hackers. The FBI’s Internet Crime Complaint Center lists a litany of problems in its release, saying strangers can pinpoint your address, get childrens’ names and birth dates, download your son or daughter’s photo and even listen in on your conversations and record your
- EPISODE 53~ MAKE MORE: Solar Panels Not Only Save You Money But Can Make You Money
Solar panels can now pay for themselves in as little as five years, depending where you live. I will link you to an article of mine that helps you figure out if you live in a good location for solar panels. If you do, you won’t need much, if any, power from your electric utility.
- EPISODE 53~ SAVE MORE: Grocery Shopping on a Budget By Stockpiling Items When They Are Cheapest —Instead of When You Need Them
What is the idea behind stockpiling?
The idea is to buy enough groceries when they are at their lowest price to last you until the next time those same items are at their lowest price, usually 3 to 6 months. So you will have 6 months worth of some items in your home. And you’ll “shop your pantry” when you need something.
What can you stockpile? Nearly everything, right?
Everything except fresh produce and eggs. You can even
- EPISODE 53~ FIND YOURS: Keep an Eye on Your Unclaimed Money Before Your State Snags It
States first became the custodians of unclaimed money back in the 1960s or so. Their argument was that they were more trustworthy than businesses when it came to safeguarding citizens lost accounts.
Back then, the states would let dormant accounts sit there for a good long time —maybe ten years— before considering them unclaimed money and forcing banks and other financial firms to turn the money over to the state. But soon state legislators realized holding unclaimed money was a
- EPISODE 53 ~ GUEST BLOG: Stockpiling: The Easiest Way to Cut Your Grocery Bill
By Chrissy Pate, Founder, BeCentsable.net
EPISODE 52~ EASY MONEY PODCAST
- EPISODE 52~ LINKS: Resources To Help You Make More, Save More, Find Yours
MAKE More links from Episode 52:
The Uber of Garden care app: greenpal.com
SAVE More links from Episode 53 of Easy Money:
Rebates offered by power companies:
- EPISODE 52~ TOP TIP: Sheet Manufacturers Could Be Skipping You on Thread Counts!
Here is a top tip about something you sleep on: Your sheets! The little-known U.S. International Trade Commission recently found that foreign sheet manufacturers were shorting consumers on thread counts and issued what’s called a general exclusion order banning companies from importing sheets with inflated thread counts.
Thread count is a measure of the number of threads per square inch in a fabric and higher thread counts have
- EPISODE 52 ~ MAKE MORE: How Lawn Care Apps Can Make You More Money!
How did you get the idea to mow lawns and do other landscaping work through GreenPal?
I did maintenance work for 17 or 18 years. I did lawn care when I was younger and then I started doing it on the side Worked first few years through Craigslist and word of mouth.. I wanted to be outside and honestly I was getting tired of punching a clock. I decided I wanted to do it full time.
Bryan – the founder of GreenPal was with Peachtree lawn care, which I knew of. I
- EPISODE 52 ~ SAVE MORE: Save Money on Your Electric Bill By Switching Your Home to All LED Lights
At my own house, I kept thinking I would switch over completely once I had used up all of my old incandescent bulbs, but when I did the math, I was amazed to learn I would save more by ditching those old bulbs —or maybe donating them— than by using them up.
The federal government caught on to the high cost and energy consumption of lighting back in 2007 and passed a law decreeing that lightbulbs must be three times more efficient by the year 2020.
The average American house uses
- EPISODE 52~ FIND YOURS: Does Blue Cross Have Unclaimed Money in New York for You?
Excellus, parent company of Blue Cross and Blue Shield in New York, has put together a searchable website where you can see if any of the checks it is holding is for you.
I wouldn’t normally focus in on a single state like this, but New York has such a big population and so many people go there for just a year or two to work, that this seems worthwhile. Excellus says it is holding more than $2.1 million dollars for 10,400 individuals and businesses! This is money that was paid for
- EPISODE 51~ EASY MONEY PODCAST
- EPISODE 51~ LINKS: Resources To Help You Make More, Save More, Find Yours
- EPISODE 51 ~ TOP TIP: How To Get The Manufacturer To Give You A Brand New Car
To most people, the term “lemon” refers to a crummy used car. However, to the government, a lemon is a crummy new car. YES! Each state’s lemon law is a little different but, generally, you must have purchased or leased the car brand new. Each state sets a time and mileage limit. For example, you may be required to make a lemon law claim within 15 months or 15,000 miles of buying the vehicle.
Each state also defines what counts as a lemon. For example, in one state if the
- EPISODE 51 ~ MAKE MORE: How To Have A Career As A Digital Nomad
Let’s talk about living life —and succeeding in a career— as a digital nomad, somebody who travels around and works remotely from wherever they are.
Many thanks to Entrepreneur.com where I first saw this topic. One of my guests on Episode 46 was a digital nomad, Tara Smith, who works from the road as an interior designer with Modsy. So we know it can be done. But how?
- EPISODE 51 ~ SAVE MORE: Cut Your Prescription Costs In Half By Cutting Pills In Half —OR “Growing” Them
I want to tell you about all the money you can save through pill splitting —which you may have heard of— but also pill growing, which you probably haven’t because I made up that term!
I don’t know why, but many medications cost the same amount regardless of the number of milligrams in each tablet. It’s weird. The pharmaceutical company is giving you more –sometimes twice as much– of its prized compound, but doesn’t charge you much –if any– extra for
- EPISODE 51 ~ FIND YOURS: Why You Might Want To Hire A Pro To Help You Find And Claim Your Unclaimed Money
Should you hire a professional to help you search for unclaimed money? That is our featured find yours segment of this podcast.
They’re called “finders” and I have often told you, my listeners, that you can find your own money without these pros. But guest Nick Anderson of Ironwood Recover impressed me with the in-depth treasure hunts he conducts for clients. Here are highlights of our interview.
Let’s get the contentious question out of the way first: Why should people hire
- EPISODE 51 ~ GUEST BLOG: Introducing a New App That Helps You Find and Claim Your Missing Money
By Nick Anderson, Ironwood Recovery
Unclaimed property has many different
- EPISODE 50~ EASY MONEY PODCAST
- EPISODE 50~ LINKS: Resources To Help You Make More, Save More, Find Yours
SAVE More links from Episode 50 of Easy Money:
529 Tuition Calculator:
- EPISODE 50 ~ TOP TIP: Multiple Brands of Stab-Lok Electric Breakers Pose A Fire Hazard
Millions of American homes were built with defective circuit breakers that pose a fire hazard. The problem with Federal Pacific Electric “Stab-Lok” type circuit breakers has been known for decades, but the CPSC never issued a recall.
Now it turns out that Stab-Lok breakers made by other brands could also be defective. Circuit breakers are supposed to trip —or shut off— when electrical wires are overloaded, so those wires don’t heat up and cause a fire. But in tests of the FPE
- EPISODE 50 ~ MAKE MORE: How To Make it —And Make Money— In A Creative Career
Are you a creative person, full of talent but also full of fear about becoming the stereotypical “starving artist?” I’m here to tell you that It IS possible to make it as a creative. That is our featured “make more” segment this time. My guest has made it as a creative despite some real-life challenges early in her career. In this episode I interviewed author, poet, selfcare and wellness consultant and fellow podcast host Alex Elle. Here are some of the questions I asked her. Alex’s
- EPISODE 50 ~ SAVE MORE: 529 Plans For K-12 Might Be A Way to Save 5 Figures!
If you send your children to private school, you can now use money saved in a 529 plan to pay their kindergarten through 12th grade tuition.
This new opportunity that came with the tax overhaul of late 2017 only applies to private schools. But yes, starting with the 2018 tax year, you can withdraw $10,000 per student per year to pay for primary or secondary education. Now, you shouldn’t withdraw from a 529 plan if that means you won’t have enough money for college. BUT, if you are
- EPISODE 50 ~ FIND YOURS: Unclaimed Money: What Happened When One State Decided to KEEP Your Unclaimed Money
One state experimented with keeping people’s unclaimed money if they didn’t claim it in time. That state is Idaho, the Gem state, although most people probably think of it as the potato state. Yes, for quite a while, Idaho was the ONLY state in the country that had a law on the books stating that if citizens didn’t claim their lost accounts within a decade, the state got to keep the money.
Idaho receives nearly $20 million dollars a year worth of unclaimed money, and less than a
- EPISODE 50 ~ GUEST BLOG: Creative Careers: You Don’t Have to Choose One Thing To Succeed
By Alexandra Elle, Creative/Entrepreneur
EPISODE 49~ EASY MONEY PODCAST
- EPISODE 49~ LINKS: Resources To Help You Make More, Save More, Find Yours
FIND Yours links from Episode 49 of Easy Money:
Top Class Actions Website explains Roundup Settlement:
The actual website of the Roundup class action:
- EPISODE 49 ~ TOP TIP: Curbstoning: Steer Clear of These Illegal, Unlicensed Used Car Dealers
Hello everybody, I’m Elisabeth Leamy. And instead of rambling, here is my Top Tip. Experts estimate 80-percent of the used cars sold by what look like individual owners are actually being sold by illegal, unlicensed dealers called “Curbstoners” because they sell cars from the curb. Some telltale signs;
Cars for sale by the side of the road or at shopping centers often belong to curbstoners.
If the seller insists on meeting you at a public place, proceed with caution.
- EPISODE 49 ~ MAKE MORE: Wedding Officiant Could Be Your Next Side Hustle!
It’s wedding season as I record this and did you know you can make extra money performing weddings? Thanks to Refinery29 where I originally saw this “make more” idea. Think about it: this is a great option if you are good at public speaking, if you were a drama geek in high school, if you’re a romantic. Or if you look the part of the wise wedding officiant.
AND In many places, you do not have to be a minister or a judge to be a wedding officiant.
One option is to get
- EPISODE 49 ~ SAVE MORE: Resale Clothing: A Way To Dress Well Without Ever Spending Money on Clothes Again!
What if you could get all of the beautiful clothes you could ever want for low or NO cost? That is our featured “save more” segment of this podcast. My guest says she has not purchased a new piece of clothing in 20 years and yet she’s a well-dressed woman. Please welcome Kate Bryer to Easy Money. Hi Kate!
Kate, tell us about your real job, first, so people can get a feel for what you’re all about.
I am the Associate Artistic Director at Imagination Stage, a children’s
- EPISODE 49 ~ FIND YOURS: Roundup Class Action Could Be Worth $1,000+ To You
For our find yours topic for today, let’s talk about a lucrative class action settlement involving a garden product.
[MUSIC: Fade music]
The product is Roundup Weed & Grass Killer Concentrate Plus or Roundup Weed & Grass Killer Super. The lawsuit alleged that Monsanto advertised that these concentrated products could create far more spray than they actually could. Monsanto didn’t admit fault, but did agree to pay consumers a total of 21 and a half million
- EPISODE 48 ~ EASY MONEY
- EPISODE 48~ LINKS: Resources To Help You Make More, Save More, Find Yours
MAKE More links from Episode 48 of Easy Money:
Websites where you can sell your furniture for more money than Craig’s List:
Apartment Therapy Marketplace
The Real Real
SAVE More links from Episode 48 of Easy Money:
•The new website and app that helps you get control of your finances in about 20 minutes: FearlessFinance.com
•Fearless Finance App on iTunes:
- EPISODE 48 ~ TOP TIP: Candy Kids Scam: Why You Should Not Buy From Them
here is a top tip about the Candy Kids. Summer’s coming, so soon you’ll see them downtown, on the subway, at your own front door. They claim to be selling chocolate bars or other candy for a cause. Sound familiar? The US Labor Department says 50-thousand children nationwide are involved and that they’re being exploited. Crooked adults with criminal records called candy crew leaders run these candy rings. They recruit near schools, in public housing complexes and homeless shelters and
- EPISODE 48 ~ MAKE MORE: Craigslist Alternatives: 5 Websites Where You Can Get More For Your Furniture
Yes, there’s always Craig’s List or eBay, but you may be able to make more if you post your items on a smaller site where people look for nicer things and expect to pay a bit more. Here are a bunch of options that all had favorable ratings with the Better Business Bureau when I checked them out.
First, there’s Apartment Therapy Marketplace. You may recognize the name of this site that’s been providing decorating inspiration for
- EPISODE 48 ~ SAVE MORE: More Over Mint Finance. There’s a New App For Financial Management
On Easy Money, we often talk about how to save money in the “how-to-buy-things-for less sense. But I also want to talk about how to save money in the “how-to-make-sure-you-have-enough-to pursue-your-dreams-and-eventually-retire sense! To that end, what if you could spend 10 to 20 minutes inputting a few key financial facts about yourself into a website and when you were done you’d know exactly where you stand and what you need to do? You can! With a new website and app called Fearless
- EPISODE 48~ FIND YOURS: Finding Unclaimed Money When Your Bank Was Bought By Another Bank
When I was launching the Easy Money podcast, I searched for unclaimed money for everybody in my contacts list, and I found something for a friend named Lori Atwood who happens to be a certified financial planner. Here’s a summary of our interview about her unclaimed money.
Here you are a financial guru. Were you surprised there was unclaimed money out there for you?
Yes! It had been out there for years and I had no idea until you told me.
What was the money from?
- EPISODE 48 ~ GUEST BLOG: How The Money App I Built Can Help You Be Fearless About Your FinancesBy Lori Atwood, CFP®, Founder of FearlessFinance.com Hopefully you have some money set aside for unplanned —but required— stuff that happens, like root canals, and car repairs, I call that Rainy Day Savings. You should also have enough savings to cover 3-6 months of expenses in case you experience a total loss of income. I call that Emergency Savings. One of the best reasons to run Fearless Finance, my new software, is to see if you are "Savings Secure” in both of these categories.
- EPISODE 47 ~ EASY MONEY
- EPISODE 47~ LINKS: Resources To Help You Make More, Save More, Find Yours
- EPISODE 47~ TOP TIP: Credit Card Debt: How To Put It On Ice
If you carry credit card debt, I want you to pull out your wallet -right now- while you’re listening and get out all of your credit cards. Now, grab a pair of scissors, and cut them up. (Make scissor noise here!) All but one. Are you feeling the withdrawal symptoms yet? Have you broken out in a cold sweat? You’re about to get even colder. Now, take the remaining card, stick it in a one-gallon plastic zipper bag, fill the bag with water, and freeze it. Yes, freeze your credit card in a
- EPISODE 47~ MAKE MORE: Social Security: A Strategy To More Than Double Your Payments
I want to reveal a way to get 30-50 percent more Social Security money from the government? It’s real. And it’s legal!
[MUSIC: Fade music]
All you have to do is delay when you start taking Social Security. That’s it. We told my mother-in-law this when she retired, but she didn’t listen. Will you? Here’s how it works. We’re allowed to start taking Social Security as early as age 62. But if you take the benefit that early you get a seriously reduced benefit. That’s where that 30
- EPISODE 47 ~ SAVE MORE: Adjustable Rate Mortgages: How ARMs Can Save You Big Money Under Certain Circumstances
Here’s our save more topic for today: When and why an adjustable rate mortgage could save you thousands of dollars. Adjustable rate mortgages or “ARMs” got a bad rap during the real estate bubble years, because so many people signed up for them not realizing that if their interest rate adjusted upward they would no longer be able to afford their monthly payments.
But here’s the key: the initial interest rate on an ARM is lower than that of a fixed rate mortgage, so you can save big
- EPISODE 47~ FIND YOURS: Unclaimed Money Heroes: Why Some People Search for Missing Money For Others
For all the thousands of people who never search for their unclaimed money and don’t even realize it’s legitimate, there is always somebody who’s fascinated by this missing money, searches for others, and tries to let them in on the good news. This “do gooder” trend is our featured “find yours” segment for this episode. My guest is Steve Mondros of New Jersey who has been interested in unclaimed money ever since he was a kid. Welcome, Steve!
How did you first hear about unclaimed
- EPISODE 46 ~ LINKS: Modsy Design & Style Quizes
- EPISODE 46 ~ TOP TIP: Bothered by Manmade Fragrance? Know the Lingo In Order to Steer Clear
If you, like me, are bothered by the overpowering artificial scents in old products like dryer sheets all the way up to new products like scented garbage bags, there are solutions. First of all, you should know manmade scents have been linked to several health problems, so this is real. To steer clear, you need to know the lingo.
- EPISODE 46 ~ MAKE MORE: Be an Interior Designer —As A Main Gig Or Side Hustle— Through This Cutting Edge New App
If you love home decor and have always wanted to be an interior designer, but never knew how to land clients and get started, today’s Make More segment is for you. Introducing a new online service called Modsy. As a designer for Modsy you create 360-degree drawings of rooms —complete with furniture and decor recommendations— so clients can SEE how their room will look before
- EPISODE 46 ~ SAVE MORE: Interior Design: How To Save Thousands on Professional Interior Design Services
Welcome Alessandra Wood, Director of Style at Modsy, who is joining us to talk about how Modsy can SAVE people money.
We’ve heard how great Modsy is for your designers. Now let’s talk about the client side. How does a client start a project with Modsy?
- They just
- EPISODE 46 ~ FIND YOURS: Girl Scouts: Help A Girl Scout Troop Find Its Unclaimed Money With A Simple Search
On episode 44 I told you about all of the boy scout troops owed unclaimed money. Well, it’s only fair for me to give equal time to girl scout troops! Title 9 and all that.
I once had the pleasure of surprising the Girls Scouts USA office in Pasadena, California with unclaimed money. It
- EPISODE 46 ~ GUEST BLOG: Spring Decor: Refresh Your Space This Season With Tips From A Style Director
Meet Alessandra Wood, the Director of Style at Modsy. With a PhD in Design History and an M.A. in the History of Decorative Arts and Design, she is a bona fide design expert, taught by the best of the best curators and historians. We picked her brain on the best ways to update your home for spring without breaking the bank. Read on for some of her tips!
Looking for some spring decor ideas to refresh your space, but not flush with cash to spend? Not to worry! Here are
- EPISODE 45 ~ EASY MONEY
- EPISODE 45 ~ LINKS: Mystery Shopping & Unclaimed Money
Legitimate Mystery Shopping Companies in Good Standing With the Mystery Shoppers Coalition:
Ace Mystery Shopping
- EPISODE 45 ~ TOP TIP: Candle: Save On Candles By Extending Their Lifetime With This Special Trick
Candles are popular AND expensive, so here’s a trick to make them last longer. Just stick your candles in the freezer for about 24 hours before burning them. This slows down the burn rate so that your candles will burn longer… and maybe even more evenly. Cool, huh?
- EPISODE 45 ~ MAKE MORE: Mystery Shopper: Check Out This Legitimate List Of Companies Hiring Mystery Shoppers
Brandee in Texas listened to episode 8 about making money as a mystery shopper and she wanted more resources for actually getting into the business.
I am eager to please, so here goes, Brandee. I got back in touch with Pamela Olmstead, President of the Mystery Shoppers Coalition and she very generously gave me a long list of legitimate companies that hire mystery shoppers.
- EPISODE 45 ~ SAVE MORE: Hospital: Reduce Your Medical Bills By Consulting Your Doctor Before Entering The Hospital
Let’s dive into our SAVE MORE topic for today: How to negotiate a better deal when you need to go to the hospital.
If it’s an emergency, you get a free pass. But if you know in advance that you are going to the hospital, you should ask for an itemized estimate of the charges. I know this sounds crazy. And yet, when I re-tiled my
- EPISODE 45 ~ FIND YOURS: Unclaimed Money: People Just Like You Are Finding Five Figures Worth Of Unclaimed Money
Imagine getting a letter from your state saying that a relative left behind a big pile of unclaimed money and you need to claim it. That’s exactly what happened to my guest. His father passed away in 2013 and left behind a tangle of financial accounts that were hard to sort out …and one of them went missing. My guest is named
- EPISODE 44 ~ LINKS: Missing Money, Free Trip Stopovers & Asking For That Raise
- EPISODE 44 ~ TOP TIP: Layover: Extend And Save On Your Vacation By Adding An Extra Stop
You may be able to travel to 2 different destinations for the price of one. When I was planning a trip to Asia, I figured I would use miles to fly to Hong Kong and then I’d buy a ticket to go on to Bangkok. But then a savvy travel agent —remember them?— told me that many international airlines allow you to “lay over” for a week in one
- EPISODE 44 ~ MAKE MORE: How To Ask For A Raise: Make More By Using These Killer Tips To Literally Increase Your Salary
Our featured topic today is our make more segment and today I mean that very literally! Let’s talk about how to MAKE more money by asking for and getting a raise. So many of my “make more” topics are side hustles or entrepreneurial ideas, but I also want to give you ways to make more money at your existing job. Getting a raise is the main way, but so many of us get nervous
- EPISODE 44 ~ SAVE MORE: Savings Account: Use Your Emergency Savings For A Real Emergency – Credit Card Debt
Time now for our save more segment of the show: I know lots of smart people who have a good-sized savings account and credit card debt. And that is just dumb.
Oh, did I say that out loud? Refusing to use a savings account to pay off credit card debt is like barricading your front door for security, but then letting thieves
- EPISODE 44 ~ FIND YOURS: Boy Scouts: Find Money For Your Favorite Scout Troop
Hundreds or even thousands of boy scout and cub scout troops across the country are owed unclaimed money. That is our find yours topic for today.
Many thanks to the Bryan on Scouting blog, where I first spotted this information. I have told you before how to search for unclaimed money for religious groups, charities and schools.
- EPISODE 44 ~ GUEST BLOG: Understand Your Boss For The Best Chance of Getting A Raise
Why do you go to work? If you’re one of the lucky few, your work ignites your passion. It challenges you. It lets you accomplish what you find most worthwhile, provides community, and helps you contribute in a meaningful way. You’d keep working even if you won the lottery. Chances are, that’s not you. Even if your job does some of that,
- EPISODE 43 ~ LINKS: Facebook Marketplace and Highwood Home
- EPISODE 43 ~ TOP TIP: Locksmith: Hop Online To Find Substantially Cheaper Prices For New Locks Compared To A Locksmith
Never buy a lock from a locksmith! This tip comes courtesy of my producer, Woody. Woody’s niece recently bought her first condo and wanted to change the locks. The locksmith quoted her $75 for a non-name brand lock. Woody jumped online and found a better, name-brand Schlage lock available at Walmart for $17 bucks. Now, why would I harp on this locksmith example? Because the same principle applies to buying ANY product when you’re a captive audience. Don’t panic. Shop around real quick and
- EPISODE 43 ~ MAKE MORE: Make Money Online: Learn Why This New Site Is An Even Better Marketplace Than Craig’s List
What if there was a more targeted, refined way to sell stuff you no longer need? And to BUY stuff you want, at a good price, from people you trust? There is! It’s called Facebook Marketplace and it is both my make more AND save more topic for this show. My guests are Deb Liu, VP of
- EPISODE 43 ~ SAVE MORE: Online Shopping: Find Better Online Deals For Anything You Could Image With This Great Site
What if there was a more targeted, refined way to sell stuff you no longer need? And to BUY stuff you want, at a good price, from people you trust? There is! It’s called Facebook Marketplace and it is both my make more AND save more topic for this show. For the Facebook Marketplace user perspective, let’s turn to Katie Mundo.
- EPISODE 43 ~ FIND YOURS: Unclaimed Money: How The Government Might Claim Your Money That Isn’t Missing
What if the government seized an account of yours as unclaimed money, even though it wasn’t unclaimed? It happens all the time and that’s today’s “find yours topic.”
For Carla Ruff of San Francisco, it was her safe deposit box that was drilled, opened and turned over the the state of California. When I did a story about this for Good
- EPISODE 43 ~ Guest Blog: Facebook Marketplace: What is it and How Can I Get The Most Out of It?
Facebook Marketplace is an easy, convenient way to buy and sell in your area. You can look through listings or search for items near you to find great things to buy. You can find Facebook Marketplace here. (
- EPISODE 42 ~ LINKS: Selling Gift Cards, Raise Mobile App, and Missing Money
- EPISODE 42 ~ TOP TIP: Warranty: Don’t Be Fooled By Service Contracts Disguised As Extended Warranties
If somebody tries to sell you an “extended warranty,” keep in mind it’s not really a warranty and that it may NOT be extended either. These deals are really service contracts, often offered by outside companies. Here’s the big question: Does this service contract duplicate the protections offered by the regular warranty? The word
- EPISODE 42 ~ MAKE MORE: Sell Gift Cards: Profit By Selling The Gift Cards Collecting Dust In Your Drawers
If you receive a gift card from a store that isn’t your thing, you don’t have to stick it in a drawer and forget about it. You can make money off of it! And if you want to SAVE money, you can buy other people’s unwanted gift cards for as much as 30 percent off and die them as gifts or shop with them. My guest is George Bousis, founder
- EPISODE 42 ~ SAVE MORE: Gift Card Exchange: Learn How To Buy Other People’s Unwanted Gift Cards For 30% Discounts
I love it when one guest can help me with two topics. George recently taught us how to make money selling gift cards and now he’ll stick with me, because now we’re going to talk about how Raise can help people SAVE money!
First off, How does Raise assure the gift cards people buy are legitimate?
Raise has multiple protocols in place to detect and prevent potential fraudulent
- EPISODE 42~ FIND YOURS: Missing Money: Beware of Unclaimed Money Scams That Try To Take Your Money Instead of Giving It To You
Let’s talk about our actual “find yours” topic for today: unclaimed money scams. Fraudsters who try to get in on the unclaimed money goodness. The National Association of Unclaimed Property Administrators or ‘NAUPA” is warning that scammers have been taking the group’s name in vain and trying to take YOUR money.
NAUPA is made up of
- Episode 42: Guest Blog: Savings Economy: Learn About The Company Making Your Money Worth More
We’re Raise and we’re on a mission to make your money worth more.
Built on a fundamental belief that prepaid cards are the most valuable currency there is, we are dedicated to establishing a new method of payment where you can always get more for your money.
- EPISODE 41 ~ EASY MONEY
- EPISODE 41 ~ TOP TIP: “No Money Down” Can Mean Big Money Lost
No money down, no interest, no payments til next year! This is what’s known as a “No, No, No Deal.” But before you say “yes, yes, yes,” you should know these deals can end up costing you a lot, lot, lot. Here’s the main problem. These offers are strictly structured so that if you don’t pay
- EPISODE 41 ~ LINKS: Healthcare, Professional Cuddling, And Finding Your Missing Money
Michelle Katz’s book Healthcare Made Easy
Articles about professional snuggling:
- EPISODE 41 ~ MAKE MORE: Professional Cuddler: YES, This is A Real Job and a Great Side Hustle!
Some people are making money by becoming professional snugglers.
If you just did a double take, trust me, I did too. When I saw an article on Student Loan Hero about this, I was intrigued but skeptical. So I checked my
- EPISODE 41 ~ SAVE MORE: IVF: The Natural Fertility Treatment That Costs 75% Less
Our featured segment today is our save more topic: a way to get Fertility treatments for about a quarter of the usual cost. It’s called “natural cycle IVF” and it’s cheaper because it relies more on the body’s own natural rhythms rather than paying to do everything artificially. My guest is Michelle Katz, otherwise known as “Nurse Katz.” Michelle is a trained nurse, a
- EPISODE 41 ~ FIND YOURS: Unclaimed Money: Why You Should Try A Search By Last Name ONLY
Let’s talk about our find yours topic for this week: the strategy of teaching just your last name when you look for unclaimed money.
This is a strategy for people who want to make sure they’ve turned over every single stone in their search for missing money.
I’ve talked about where you should search, namely every single state to be
- EPISODE 41: GUEST BLOG: 3 Tips for Succeeding With Fertility Treatments
By Michelle Katz
Do you have baby on the brain? Well, “making a baby” can be as stressful as actually as having a baby with all the infertility options out there such as IVF, IUI, ICI, IVI etc. If you are headed down this path, one of the key components to having a successful pregnancy is not to stress, but if you are not prepared financially, this may be almost impossible. One of the less expensive ways to go through this process is through
- Episode 40 ~ EASY MONEY
- EPISODE 40 ~ LINKS: Energy Sage, States With Deregulated Power, and Arcadia Power
- EPISODE 40 ~ TOP TIP: Credit Score: Raise Your Score Almost Instantly By Becoming an Authorized User on Someone Else’s Account
If you need to improve your credit score fast, one way is to be added as an authorized user to another person’s credit card account. This is a perfectly legitimate strategy if the other person is a family member or close associate. Many parents do this for their kids. Some business partners have too. Even though the authorized user is not responsible for paying the bill, the account – and
- EPISODE 40 ~ MAKE MORE: Solar Panels Can MAKE You Money Even If You Live in an Apartment!
Kiran Bhatraju of Arcadia Power is staying on and we’re transitioning from how Arcadia can help you save money to how Arcadia can help you make money. Thanks for sticking around, Kiran!
My husband and I are actually researching installing solar panels on our roof right now. Should we do it? Will it not only save but make us money?
• When you install a solar panel
- EPISODE 40 ~ SAVE MORE: Go Green: News flash! Clean Electricity is Now Cheaper Than Traditional
People in 30 out of 50 states have the option of switching their gas provider, electric provider or both. That can save you green and be more green because there may be an alternative supplier that costs less and does more for the environment. A startup called Arcadia Power has created software that tracks the power companies in many areas and helps you find a better
- EPISODE 40 ~ FIND YOURS: Unclaimed Money: Don’t Pay A “Finder” For Access To Your Own Money
I’m happy to say that this week’s “Find Yours” blog came from one of you. Let’s check it out.
Hi, this is Patrick in California. I got a letter in the mail saying I am owed unclaimed money and this company can claim it for me. I don’t want to pay them a percentage, but I have no idea where
- EPISODE 40 ~ GUEST BLOG: How and Why Clean Energy Can Save You Money
By Kiran Bhatraju, CEO, Arcadia Power
- EPISODE 39 ~ EASY MONEY
- EPISODE 39 ~ LINKS: Entrepreneurs, Pruvo, & Employee Benefits Security Administration
- EPISODE 39 ~ TOP TIP: Carpet Cleaning: Go With The Cleaning Service That Prices By Square Foot NOT By Room
Carpet cleaners who advertise “3 rooms for $29.95” or some other low, set price, don’t really mean it. They are hustlers who want into your house. They’ll drag all their equipment into your house to make you feel obligated. And then they’ll upsell you like crazy. Want stains removed?
- EPISODE 39 ~ MAKE MORE: Opinions: Get Paid Extra Cash Simply By Sounding Off
- EPISODE 39 ~ SAVE MORE: Hotels: Save On Travel By Booking Your Room, Then Re-Booking the SAME Room for Less
Here’s a way to save money on hotel rooms by taking advantage of the fact that room rates are always changing. Just book a room and then a new website called Pruvo tracks price drops for you and helps you re-book the room when the price has gone down. My guest is Doron Nadevi, Chief Marketing Officer for Pruvo. Doron, welcome to Easy Money.
- EPISODE 39 ~ FIND YOURS: Stocks: Find Your Unclaimed Stocks Before The Government Sells Them at a Loss
Let’s talk about our find yours topic for today: the importance of finding any unclaimed stocks or bonds before the government sells them off.
Here’s why this is crucial: one, many of us don’t keep close track of the investments we buy because we’ve been told to hold them for the long haul, so we just sort of let them stew and hope they go up. This is incredibly common.
- EPISODE 39 ~ GUEST POST: Travel: Secret Tips That Will Help You Score The Lowest Hotel & Travel Rates
In today’s modern era there are few things that don’t have a set sticker price. Hotel rooms are one of the things where it is still a bargainer’s market. Hotels have an entire elaborate system where they can target the high prices from some individuals and bring in the low prices to fill the rest of the room. An empty room is only wasted money right? Well in this blog posts we are going to go over some of the industry secrets to secure a hotel room for the best price.
- EPISODE 38 ~ EASY MONEY
- EPISODE 38 ~ LINKS: Unclaimed Retirement Benefits & Remote Jobs
- EPISODE 38 ~ TOP TIP: AAA: Invest In AAA To Avoid Pricey Tow Truck Services
Instead of complaining about how my car broke down last week, here is a Top Tip that might help you if yours does. If your car dies on you and you need to get it towed, you may be able to join AAA and get a year’s worth of towing and other services, for less than the cost of hiring a tow truck just for the one trip. This didn’t help my husband and me because our alternator blew
- EPISODE 38 ~ MAKE MORE: Remote Jobs: Stay Flexible And Work For A Top Company By Telecommuting To Work
- EPISODE 38 ~ SAVE MORE: Credit Cards: Negotiate To Decrease The Interest Rate On Your Credit Cards And Save Thousands
Let’s talk about negotiating a lower interest rate on your credit card as a way of saving hundreds or thousands of dollars.
This strategy applies to people who carry a credit card balance. Negotiating a lower interest rate, which will also help you pay off your debt more quickly and cheaply. All you do is call up your credit card company and politely ask them to lower your
- EPISODE 38 ~ FIND YOURS: Unclaimed Money: Help Your Elder Friends Discover Their Missing Money With Lifespan
It’s a good idea to search for unclaimed money for older friends and relatives. After all, they’ve lived longer, so they’ve had more chances for their money to go missing. My guest has been searching for unclaimed money for seniors for years and wait ’til you hear how much he’s found. Gabriel Geiger is Director of Financial Services for Lifespan of Greater Rochester New York. (
- EPISODE 38 ~ GUEST BLOG: Three Reasons to Look for Unclaimed Funds for your Older Relatives
By Gabriel Geiger
Three Reasons to Look for Unclaimed Funds for your Older Relatives
1. Who doesn’t
- EPISODE 37 ~ EASY MONEY
- Episode 37 ~ LINKS: Wageworks, Dscount, and SPIC
- EPISODE 37 ~ TOP TIP: Budget Planner: Set A Spending-Cap With Your Spouse When Combining Finances
I was talking to a newlywed friend the other night and she was nervous about combining finances with her husband and keeping the peace at home. I shared this marital spending tip: Set a spending cap that neither spouse is allowed to go over without checking in with the other person. Something like a hundred dollars or 2-hundred or 5.
- EPISODE 37 ~ MAKE MORE: Earn Money Online: Make Quick And Easy Cash By Reviewing Videos With Your Opinion
Companies are hungry for information about what consumers want. It used to be that they would hire a focus group vendor, gather a group of people, and have a moderator ask them questions —all while spying on the group through a one-way mirror. That still goes on but there’s a new way companies are getting the insights they seek and it’s a money-making opportunity for YOU. Namely video reviews. I touched on this in Episode 29 and got so much positive
- EPISODE 37 ~ SAVE MORE: Commute: Pay For Parking At Your Work On A Pretax Basis
Did you know that you can pay for parking that’s part of your work commute on a pretax basis?
I used to do this myself when I worked at ABC News in the Washington DC bureau. According to Wageworks, the dominant company that administers this federal program, you can get this benefit if you pay to park at or near work OR if you park somewhere remote, like a metro
- EPISODE 37 ~ FIND YOURS: Broker: Recover Your Unclaimed Money From Brokers That Went Out-Of-Business
Let’s talk about our find yours topic for today: how to recover unclaimed money from a brokerage firm that went out of business.
It turns out there is a little-known agency that handles these cases called the SIPC or Securities Investor Protection Corporation. It’s kind of like the FDIC of brokerage firms, insuring customers’ accounts in the event the firm goes out of
- EPISODE 37~GUEST BLOG: Make More~ Modern Focus Groups: How To Apply For DScout Video Review Missions For A Nice Side Income
To go on a mission, you’ll need to submit an application and then get selected to participate. Just tap on the apply tab in the dscout app to see if any available opportunities look interesting. If you see an opportunity that sounds like fun, apply for it! If there’s nothing available to apply for at the moment, hang in there–we’ll be serving up some new opportunities in no time.
- EPISODE 36 ~ EASY MONEY
- EPISODE 36 ~ LINKS: Forbes, Unclaimed Money, & Kloudes
- EPISODE 36 ~ TOP TIP: You do NOT have 3 Days To Return a Car —Car Sales Are Final
Most car sales —new or used— are FINAL. Many people believe you have three days to return a car if you change your mind. It’s one of the most pervasive consumer myths and drives me absolutely crazy. A few rare and noble dealerships have begun allowing limited returns.
- EPISODE 36 ~ MAKE MORE: Side Hustle: How To Make Sure Your Side Hustle Doesn’t Conflict With Your Day Job
When we talk about “making more,” often we’re talking about a side hustle, an extra gig you do in addition to your day job to bring in additional revenue. Well, it’s important to make sure your day job and your side hustle don’t get in each other’s way.
Many thanks to Jenny Odegard of
- EPISODE 36 ~ SAVE MORE: Mattresses: Save Thousands By Buying a Quality Mattress Topper Instead of a Mattress
Americans spend 15-billion dollars a year on mattresses. The queen-sized models rated highest by Consumer Reports cost 13-hundred to 23-hundred dollars, but there are even some fancy mattresses that sell for 60-thousand dollars apiece! My guest calls that “shady” and says only the top 3 inches of the mattress really matter. That’s
- EPISODE 36 ~ FIND YOURS: Unclaimed Funds: Why You Must Search All 50 States To Be Sure You’ve Found Your Missing Money
Let’s talk about our find yours topic for today: namely the importance of searching ALL 50 states if you want to be sure to find all unclaimed money owed to you.
Yes, the states where you have lived are the top priority for a search, because unclaimed money is most often held in the state where the citizen lives or lived. BUT that is not always the case!
- EPISODE 36 ~ GUEST POST: Mattresses: Don’t Fall For Expensive Mattress Gimmicks!
This week I talked about how to save money on a mattress. However, there are even easier ways to save, and that’s to not get tricked! My guest Omar Alachaboun started a mattress topper company called Kloudes, and he knows all of the ins-and-outs on not spending extra on a mattress while still having your dream bed.
Read more on saving on a mattress by
- CBS News Radio Listeners: Welcome! Here Are the Details and Links To Help You Save, Find and Make Money This Valentine’s Day
Every week on the Easy Money Podcast, I dig up clever, creative ways to
make more money, save big money and find your unclaimed money. My
CBS Valentine’s Special tips and tricks were just a sampling. I invite you to check out the podcast for so many more. Meanwhile, as promised, here are more details about how to save money on
- EPISODE 35 ~ EASY MONEY
- EPISODE 35 ~ Links: Checkbook.org, Auto Insurance, & YouTube Earnings
- EPISODE 35 ~ TOP TIP: Avoiding Financial Failure By Being the “Hunter” Not The “Hunted”
Here is a Top Tip that I love. It’s my motto as a consumer, actually. Ready? “Be the hunter, not the hunted.” Sounds kind of weird, but let me explain. All sorts of bad things happen to us financially when we respond to those who come after us with their products and services.
- EPISODE 35 ~ MAKE MORE: Unboxing Videos: Earn Extra Cash By Opening Boxes On YouTube
Now it’s time for our “Make more” segment, and who would have thought that people can add thousands more to their income simply by opening boxes?
The global Unboxing trend is sweeping the web. With viewership growing by 57% over the past year, these short and simple videos are exactly what you might think: someone opening a box to reveal what’s inside. Unboxing categories are endless.
- EPISODE 35 ~ SAVE MORE: Car Insurance: Shopping Around for It And Save $1000+
I like to save money on the boring things, so I have more for the fun things. And perhaps the most boring thing of all that we spend money on is insurance. Fortunately, with car insurance it’s possible to save BIG bucks just by shopping around.
- EPISODE 35 ~ FIND YOURS: 401K: How To Find Your Missing 401K From An Old Job
And now let’s talk about our find yours topic for today: how to find your lost 401k plan from a former job.
If your old employer is still in business, chances are you can find your plan by contacting the company. But if the firm is no longer around, the Employee Benefits Security Administration —part of the Department of Labor— can help you with this.
- EPISODE 35 ~ GUEST BLOG: Car Insurance: Save More Than A Thousand Dollars By Spending A Few Extra Minutes Shopping For Auto Insurance
Although it’s a bit of a pain to shop for auto insurance, most consumers would agree that spending a few hours to save $500, $1,000, or more every year is worth the effort. Note that you don’t have to wait until your current policy term expires to take advantage of the savings you’d
- EPISODE 34 ~ EASY MONEY
- EPISODE 34 ~ LINKS: Egg Donors, FDIC Unclaimed Funds, and American Honors
- EPISODE 34 ~ TOP TIP: Pay By Phone: Why You Should Only Pay Over The Phone If You Initiated The Call
The other night I picked up the phone and it was my husband’s college calling to ask for money. We are big believers in education, so I had the patience to listen and I was sympathetic to the idea of donating. BUT, as I went to get my credit card, I suddenly realized I was about to break one of my own rules! Never buy anything or
- EPISODE 34 ~ MAKE MORE: Egg Donation: Earn Thousands While Helping Others Start A Family
Today, we’re going to talk about making money by making a life. Way back on Episode 2, we talked about being a surrogate mother. Today, I want to cover becoming an egg donor, which is less involved because you don’t have to carry a child, but more involved because you’re contributing your own DNA. My guest is named Candace, and she has donated her eggs 5 times resulting in the birth of 6 children.
- EPISODE 34 ~ SAVE MORE: Tuition: Clever Ways to Save Money On a College Education
This is a follow up to MY last episode, number 33, where I covered unusual ways to MAKE money for college. If you can make more AND save more on college, you might just have it covered. Here goes:
- Fund an out-of-state 529. Many people don’t know that you can start a 529 plan in another state.
- EPISODE 34 ~ FIND YOURS: FDIC Insurance: How To Find Your Lost Money if Your Bank Went Under
Our find yours topic for today is how to locate missing funds held by the FDIC.
FDIC stands for Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation. The FDIC is the independent federal agency that insures banks. More specifically, it insures YOUR deposits in banks. The FDIC was established by President
- EPISODE 34 ~ GUEST BLOG: Are You Thinking About Becoming An Egg Donor?
Courtesy of Extraordinary Contraceptions
At Extraordinary Conceptions, we know that egg donations truly make a difference in the lives of others. We work with future parents around the world who are trying to conceive a child but can’t do it without the help of an egg donor like yourself. These parents are looking for potential
- EPISODE 33 ~ EASY MONEY
- EPISODE 33 ~ LINKS: ASCI Travel Reports and Air Travel Secrets
- EPISODE 33 ~ TOP TIP: Scammers: Don’t Fall For Scams That Will Cause You To Be Bombarded By More Scams!
If you buy a cheesy product or fall for even one scam, con artists will circle like vultures and try to get a piece of you. Once a scammer or an opportunist has your contact information, they’ll sell your name to other clever crooks for extra cash. Here are a few things to avoid if you don’t want to be bombarded by scammers: First, over-the-top catchphrases like “one in a million” or “specially selected.” Second, ads in dicey places like the back of a magazine, late night TV informercials,
- EPISODE 33 ~ MAKE MORE: Cash For College: 5 Ways To Make Extra Money to Pay Tuition
I want to talk about clever, creative ways to make more money for college.
1. My first idea: Cooperative Education
Cooperative education, also called co-op education, involves working full time at a company while also enrolled in college. Students can earn as much as $25 per hour (That’s roughly $50k a year).
- EPISODE 33 ~ SAVE MORE: Canceled Flights: App Gets You Compensation When Your Flight Doesn’t Go Right
Did you know that when your flight is canceled or delayed, the airline may owe you money? Problem is, you may not know when you’re leaving money on the table and it’s a hassle to do the claims paperwork. Enter an app that will keep track, send in claims and get you your money! It’s called “Service” and what a service it is!
- EPISODE 33 ~ FIND YOURS: Parking Tickets: Check Out San Francisco’s Method Of Refunding Overpaid Or Duplicate Parking Tickets
The City of San Francisco has unclaimed money for citizens and visitors who overpaid or paid duplicate parking tickets!
And that means other cities or counties could too! People overpaid San Francisco a total of 600-thousand dollars between 1995 and 2014. Oops! My hometown really blew it this
- EPISODE 33: GUEST BLOG ~ 12 SECRETS ABOUT AIR TRAVEL YOU MAY NOT KNOW
From compensation for delayed flights to the cheapest days to book fares, we’ll cover all the secrets the airline industry doesn’t want you to know about (but we do!).
Be honest: How much do you know about air travel other than booking a flight, showing up with your luggage, and crossing your fingers that everything goes smoothly from there?
From hunting down the cheapest days to
- EPISODE 32 ~ EASY MONEY
- EPISODE 32 ~ LINKS: Card Pool & Missing Money
- EPISODE 32 ~ TOP TIP: Warranty: Find Out Whether Your Product’s Warranty REALLY Lasts You A Lifetime
Here’s a Top Tip about YOUR holiday gifts: If any of them break, you should know that there’s no set legal definition of the term “lifetime warranty.” You probably assumed “lifetime” means your lifetime, right? Not always! Some weasely companies choose to interpret it as the lifetime of the
- EPISODE 32 ~ MAKE MORE: Gift Card Exchange: 5 Ways To Make The Most Out Of Your Unwanted Gift Cards This Holiday Season
If you received gift cards this holiday season to stores that just aren’t your thing, they don’t have to sit unused in a drawer. You can sell them, exchange them, swap them, donate them and more. Let’s take those in turn:
- Sell it. There are two main websites where you
- EPISODE 32 ~ SAVE MORE: Buy Gift Cards: Why Pay Cash When You Could Buy A Discounted Gift Card, Instead?
Our save more topic for today, which may sound familiar if you’ve read the Make More blog post because now I want to talk about how you can SAVE money by BUYING People’s unwanted gift cards!
Yes! Why pay cash at a store, when you could, instead, buy a discounted gift card to that store?
- EPISODE 32 ~ FIND YOURS: Unclaimed Funds: Find The Lost Life Insurance Policies Left Behind By Your Loved Ones
This time I want to talk about lost life insurance policies left behind by loved ones who have passed on. People often tell me there’s no way THEY would have unclaimed money waiting for them because they are way too anal and organized to have left money lying around out there somewhere. And I always counter with the fact that if not you, then maybe a relative left money
- EPISODE 31 ~ EASY MONEY
- EPISODE 31 ~ LINKS: Be Censtable, After Class, and Unclaimed Property
- EPISODE 31 ~ TOP TIP: Gym Memberships: Sidestep Ironclad Gym Contracts That Take Big Cash Out Of Your Pocket
Here is a new year’s Top Tip: Avoid ironclad gym contracts that require big money up front and make it hard to cancel if you want buns of steel. Lots of people join gyms this time of year. And as with all future services contracts in which you make a long-term commitment and pay in advance, there are risks. Make sure you do your homework on the gym before signing a
- EPISODE 31 ~ MAKE MORE: Side Hustles: Why Teaching a Fitness Class is the Perfect Extra Gig
This week’s idea is to teach an exercise class on the side to make some extra money.
Here are my 12 reasons why teaching an exercise class should be your next side hustle.
- You ought to exercise anyway, so why not get paid to do it?
- You’ll be more likely to STICK WITH
- EPISODE 31 ~ SAVE MORE: Cheap Vacations: Check Out These Tips To Take Trips For A Fraction Of The Cost
Whether you like to take lots of quick 3-day weekends or fewer but longer trips, there are clever, creative strategies for saving on travel. My guest is Chrissy Pate, who runs the savings website BeCentsable.net and co-wrote the book of the same name.
- EPISODE 31 ~ FIND YOURS: Local Governments: Check Out This Town That’s Helping Citizens Find Their Missing Money
Let’s talk about our find yours topic for today: local governments that are doing a good job of letting people know about their unclaimed money.
Because, after all, it’s YOUR money, not their money. Some governments have tried to shorten the amount of time until an account is considered unclaimed to just ONE year, so that banks and brokerages have to turn the money over
- EPISODE 31~ GUEST BLOG: Disney World: How To Magically Save Money
Are you dreaming of a Disney Vacation? Here are some great articles with tons of Disney tips and secrets to help you plan your dream Disney vacation and stay on budget!
- EPISODE 30 ~ EASY MONEY
- EPISODE 30 ~ LINKS: Birch Finance and Saving Money During The Holidays
Birch Finance founder Alex Cohen’s Twitter –
- EPISODE 30 ~ TOP TIP: Return Policies: Find Out If You Can Return Before You Buy
Many people think you have 3 days to return any product you buy. Sorry to say, that’s a myth! Every company has the right to set its OWN return policy. The myth comes from a Federal Trade Commission policy known as the 3-day “Cooling-Off Rule,” but this rule ONLY applies to sales made away from the seller’s place of business. For
- EPISODE 30 ~ MAKE MORE: Reward Cards: Use The Birch Finance App For Benefits Of Reward Credit Cards
One way to earn some extra cash or free stuff is by using a rewards credit card. BUT the diabolical problem is knowing which rewards credit card will benefit you the most. There are so many options and variables it’s hard for the human brain to compute the best deal. Enter an ingenious app called “Birch Finance” which does the
- EPISODE 30 ~ SAVE MORE: Buying A House: Spend More To Save More Longterm
Believe it or not I’m going to encourage you to spend money to save money by buying a house, if you haven’t already.
Home-buying got a bad rap during the bubble years, but I am still a big believer for a very fundamental reason: it’s the one investment you can make with money you have to spend anyway. After all, you have to pay money to live somewhere.
- EPISODE 30 ~ FIND YOURS: Unclaimed Money: Discover Where Missing Money Holds Big Accounts
The average unclaimed money claim is 800-something dollars, according to the National Association of Unclaimed Money Administrators, which is nice. But there are MUCH bigger unclaimed money accounts out there and REAL people DO benefit from them. I want YOU to be next!
Here’s some inspiration:
- EPISODE 30 ~ GUEST BLOG: 8 Awesome Apps to Save Money this Holiday Shopping Season
By Alex Cohen, Birch Finance co-founder
EPISODE 29 ~ EASY MONEY
- EPISODE 29 ~ LINKS: Dscount, VoxPopMe, and Your 401(k)
- EPISODE 29 ~ TOP TIP: Credit Score: Carry A Balance Less Than Ten Percent To Keep Your Score High
If you want to keep your credit score high, keep your credit card balances low. Of course, the best thing is to pay your cards off in full each month. But if you must carry a balance, it should be no more than ten percent of your credit limit if you want to keep your score reasonably high. You can go up to 30 percent for a second tier credit score. And really, it’s best not to even SPEND more than 30 percent of your limit, even if you pay it off. Yep, that’s right, the FICO scoring model
- EPISODE 29 ~ MAKE MORE: Online Reviews: Review Videos From Anywhere To Make Extra Cash
- EPISODE 29 ~ SAVE MORE: 401K Plan: Check To See If Your Company Has An Automatic Plan For You
Time to save more and you may not have a choice! Some companies are automatically enrolling their employees in the 401k plan.
Not only that, some are raising the amount of money you save in the plan each year! According to
- EPISODE 28 ~ EASY MONEY
- EPISODE 28 ~ LINKS: Online Rewards, Holiday Donations, & Earny
- EPISODE 28 ~ TOP TIP: Holiday Donations: Make Sure Your Donation Is Going To Where You Want To Help
This time of year we all get a lot of appeals to donate to charity and I want your donations to count. So, when people ask you for money, ask THEM if they are paid solicitors and if they are licensed. If they’re paid, you’ll know this particular charity is spending some of YOUR donation on raising yet more money. And if they can’t
- EPISODE 28 ~ MAKE MORE: Cashback: Check Out These Online Reward Sites That Help You Get Cash Back
I’ve done the math and I estimate you can earn hundreds of dollars worth of free gift cards —for the holidays or any time of year— just by doing the things you already do online and on your phone, only doing them via a rewards site. But you don’t have to take my word for it. I’ve heard from people who did exactly this last year and got all of their holiday gifts for free.
- EPISODE 28 ~ SAVE MORE: Cash Apps: Find Out When You Deserve A Refund With Apps Like Earny
One thing that drives shoppers crazy is when they buy something and then the price drops a week or two later and they could have gotten it for less. Enter the “Earny” app, that’s E-A-R-N-Y. Earny tracks price adjustments and automatically gets you your money back in these situations. My guest is Dori Yona, co-founder & COO of
- EPISODE 28 ~ FIND YOURS: SEC: Claim Your Missing Money From The Security and Exchange Commission
The SEC or Securities and Exchange Commission may have unclaimed money for you.
The SEC goes after companies that have done investors wrong and sometimes orders those companies to pay fines and fees. If the SEC decides some or all of that money should go back to investors, you could be eligible. The SEC created a
- EPISODE 28 ~ GUEST BLOG: Where’s My Refund: Download The Earny App To Get Your Money Back When Prices Drop
By Dori Yona, co-founder and COO of Earny
- EPISODE 27 ~ EASY MONEY
- EPISODE 27 ~ LINKS: Freelance Writing & Wage and Hour Divison
Charles’ Online Courses:
- EPISODE 27 ~ TOP TIP: Shipping Scams: Be Wary of Your Shipping E-mails This Holiday Season
I’m going to give you a top top about the holiday season. Beware of phishing scams involving shipping. Scammers send out emails that look like they’re from UPS, FedEx and the US Postal Service. They have convincing subject lines like “We could not deliver your parcel” or “Please confirm your shipment” or “Your order is ready to be
- EPISODE 27 ~ MAKE MORE: Freelance Writing: Use Your Words As A Side Hustle Or Permanent Job
This time we’re talking about being a freelance writer. This can be a profitable and satisfying full-time job or side hustle. And just think of all of the companies that need things written, from blog posts to articles, grants to technical manuals. My guest is Charles Silberman, a teacher by day and writer by night.
- EPISODE 27 ~ SAVE MORE: Used Cars: Shop For Used Cars At New Car Price
I want to encourage you to buy only used cars from now on. Never new!
I know, I know, you don’t want to buy somebody else’s problem. But cars these days are built to last a long time and I’m not suggesting you buy a car from the 80’s1 Instead, I’m gonna show you how to buy a used car at the
- EPISODE 27~ FIND YOURS: Missing Wages: Discover Your Hard Earned Money From Previous Jobs
If you think you may be owed back wages from your employer, search the Wage and Hour Division, also known as the WHD —not to be confused with WMD. Much nicer, actually! The Wage and Hour Division has a database of workers who have money waiting to be claimed. WHD is a part of the U.S. Department of Labor. It’s the department that enforces many of our nation’s labor laws. When WHD find violations, it often recovers unpaid wages on behalf of
- EPISODE 27~ GUEST BLOG: Freelance Writing: Five Kinds of Work for Freelance Writers
By Charles Silberman
Finding work as a freelance writer does not have to be hard. There are a ton of needs, and not always enough high quality writers to fill them. Jump online and search for what you want to write about and test the waters. Writing as a freelancer is about trying and failing until you succeed. Here are several opportunities for writers:
- EPISODE 26 ~ EASY MONEY
- EPISODE 26 ~ LINKS: Top Class Actions
- EPISODE 26 ~ TOP TIP: Gas Station Swindles: Avoid Spending Extra Cash From Towing Companies & Gas Stations Schemes
Last week I alerted you about tow truck drivers who steal other companies’ calls and then overcharge you. Now a warning about what often happens next. This heads up is courtesy of an undercover investigation I did. We parked a car by the side of the freeway. Tow truck drivers we hadn’t ’t called pulled over to pick us up and, of course, overcharged us every time. And then every single one took us to the same gas station —A station several miles away. They made U-turns and passed up half a
- EPISODE 26 ~ MAKE MORE: Consignment Shops: Find Out How To Step Up Your Game From Selling At Consignment Shops To Owning One
Let’s talk “making more” by converting your secondhand clothing into cold hard cash. Or helping other people sell their clothing and taking a cut. I’m talking about either selling your clothes at a consignment shop OR owning that consignment shop! I spoke with Sandra Packwood, owner of Do You Deja Vu in Warrenton, Virginia, to find out more.
How did you first get started in the consignment business and how many years has it been now?
- EPISODE 26 ~ SAVE MORE: Shop Where You Sell: Buy Gorgeous Threads At The Consignment Stores Where You Sell
Sandra Packwood, owner of Do You Deja Vous, already taught us how to sell at consignment shops. Now, she’s doing double duty by teaching us how to “Save More” by consignment shopping, as well!
So Sandra, the women who shop at your store, are their finances tight and they can’t afford to shop retail?
- EPISODE 26 ~ FIND YOURS: Class Action Lawsuits: Qualify For Lawsuits To Discover Your Unclaimed Money
Every day, lawyers settle class action lawsuits on behalf of consumers. With so many settlements out there, chances are you have purchased products that weren’t all they promised to be, somebody sued, and you could be due some money back. Normally, the courts require companies to send eligible consumers letters. But often they don’t
- EPISODE 25 ~ EASY MONEY
- EPISODE 25 ~ LINKS: Artist Models & Bankruptcy Unclaimed Funds
Regina Kaluzny’s Links:
- EPISODE 25 ~ TOP TIP: Towing: Keep A Reliable And Affordable Towing Service On Speed Dial
Beware of tow truck shenanigans. For one, if you call Triple A, other tow companies listen to their radio traffic and will try to get to you before the Triple-A driver. If you don’t use Triple A, keep a reliable, legitimate tow truck driver on speed dial. Either way, ask for ID and confirm the price, when the driver gets there. After
- EPISODE 25 ~ MAKE MORE: Modeling Jobs: Pose For Artists To Make Extra Cash
Drawing, painting or sculpting the human body is one of the most fundamental —yet one of the most challenging— projects for an artist, so practice is key. And that’s where you could come in: artists need real humans to re-create. This is one of my more exotic “make more” ideas, so I’ve got an exotic guest for you all the way from
- EPISODE 25 ~ SAVE MORE: Activities For Kids: 10 More Ways To Save Money On Kids Classes
Refer a friend. Many children’s centers —especially newer ones looking to grow— rely on referrals and reward parents who make them. If they don’t offer you a thank you discount, politely request one, and tell them there are more referrals to come.
Pay yearly. If you know your child is committed to an activity, paying the
- EPISODE 25 ~ FIND YOURS: Bankruptcy: Find Your Unclaimed Money Held By The U.S. Bankruptcy Court
Let’s say you paid for a wedding dress at a local boutique and that boutique went out of business and declared bankruptcy before you got your dress. You should be on a list of people owed a refund when a trustee liquidates the store’s assets. If something like this JUST happened to you, make sure to GET your name on the list of creditors.
- EPISODE 33 ~ TOP TIP: Scammers: Don’t Fall For Scams That Will Cause You To Be Bombarded By More Scams!
- EPISODE 53~ TOP TIP: Smart Toys Could Be Putting Your Children At Risk